Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam

Ok people, you HAVE to make this!! It's rediculously easy and SOOOOO good.  You might never buy store bought Jam again! (seriously!!) The directions are straight from the box and I got a little "foodie" today with my non-foodie self so bear with me :)

Ingredients:
1 box of Fruit Pectin
3 1/4 cups(3-4 pints) of crushed Strawberries
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
4 1/2 cups Sugar
1 cup Light Corn Syrup

Now, I have always used the "Sure-Jell" Pectin (on the left) and it usually works out fine.  I have tried the low sugar kind and the liquid pectin, neither of which I recommend.  However this last time I bought the MCP (whatever the heck that means, but it is made by sure jell) and I fell in love with it! It's what I'm going to stick with.  Usually with freezer jams you have to cook the pectin powder with water for a few minutes. Not a huge deal, but I loved not having to use my stove AT ALL! And sometimes my Jam didn't set correctly but I didn't have any problems with the MCP.  Onward and upward.....










Cut up the strawberries and mash them with a masher.(the metal curvy masher doesn't work as well as the plastic ones with holes in them.  I found a great one at Wal mart this year that has a few "sharp" edges on the bottom) I don't use a food processor, a few years ago I tried it and my jam didn't set up as nice.  I usually get my hubby to help mash while he is watching TV :) I mash them in a big bowl and pour them into the measuring cup.











Then pour the berries back into your big bowl and add the lemon juice.  The directions say fresh but I used the bottled stuff and it was just fine.Then gradually stir 1 box of pectin into the fruit.  Mix thoroughly and stir every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup of light corn syrup into the fruit mixture and stir well.


 Then gradually stir the sugar into the mixture until it is completely dissolved. (a few minutes)
Now pour into your prepared containers leaving space at the top for expansion.

I have been using the plastic Jam containers that you buy right beside the glass ones at the store.  The lid screws on, they stack great, they come in 2 sizes and they don't break! I love them (and they are cheap)

Let the jars stand at room temperature for 24 hours to set then put them in the freezer (or fridge to use right away!) They can stay in the freezer for up to 1 year, (longer but that's what the paper says) but they probably won't last that long! I love to give mine away and of course we eat it all year long.  It's soooo scrumptious!!

Here is 2 batches worth










Ok, well that's all I have for today.  If you don't believe me that this is the best Jam you have ever had, I'll give you one of mine to try and I promise you will be convinced!!
[this offer is for a limited time only and will end when my "extra" supply runs out] It has run out :)

Check out lots of other canning recipes HERE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds awesome! I love anything strawberry! I'm co-hosting Canning Week on my blog and invite you to come by and link up your recipe! We're having a recipe contest and canning related giveaways all week. I hope you stop by!
Jen @ Mess Hall to Bistro
http://messhalltobistro.blogspot.com/2011/08/canning-week-linky.html

Some Grief Guidance

So few people know how to grieve WITH people. And I'm no expert, but I have walked down the road myself a few times and wanted to s...