Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Some good Tex-Mex

I've said it before, but I really like food.  I like to cook, but I don't like that I HAVE to cook.  But such is this season of life and I'm thankful for it.  I LOVE Mexican food.  (some would say Tex-Mex but whatever) Living in Texas there are good Tex-Mex restaurants all over.  Pretty much any place that has salsa and queso is a winner in my book.  (I personally thing that Costa Vida has the best Queso out there right now, oh I love queso) Anyway, back to the matter at hand.  I thought I would share a few super easy recipes that I use pretty often.


The first is my Fake Homemade Salsa.  Although I do enjoy some good ol' medium Pace picante salsa and especially if it is mixed with sour cream.  Oh yum. I love Mexican food.
Ok, anyway, sometimes I want a little more flavor than what the jar stuff provides.  So if you own a food processor and a can opener you can make a dang good "homemade salsa."  Here is what you need

Ingredients:
1 can of Rotel (I have fallen in love with the Great Value Fire Roasted kind but the regular stuff is great too)
Cilantro
Red Onion
Lime Juice
Garlic

I only use 1/4-1/2 of the onion, and I just cut it into fourths.  The food processor does a good job chopping it up.  Put in some cilantro, maybe 1/4-1/2 the bunch.  I use my garlic press and put in about 2 cloves.  Squeeze in a few teaspoons of lime juice and pour in the rotel. (undrained) Hold down the chop or grind button until it is the consistency you like.  It's normal to have a chunk or two of onion or a long string of cilantro, so I just pick that out and toss it.  And that's it!
(Disclaimer-I realize if I was a real food blogger or a photographer I would have pretty pictures to go along with these instructions, but alas I am not.  With that being said I did take some pictures of some posts I am planning on doing, so just think of it as a bonus if it happens I guess :] )

I use this Salsa in my Mexican Casserole and Enchiladas.  I'll also share my super easy Mexican Casserole with you.  This is a favorite of ours.

Mexican Casserole

1 lb of ground meat (we use turkey)
1 can of Refried Beans
Sour Cream
Salsa
Shredded Cheese

 Pre-heat oven to 350. Brown the meat.  If  using Turkey, season heavily before it cooks.  I usually use taco seasoning.  After it is cooked add the beans and let them warm up. Stir them together.  Put this in the bottom layer of your dish.  (I use a big Pyrex bowl, a 9x9 pan would work ok too) I then put a layer of sour cream.  Then I put a layer of the salsa.  (If I don't make the homemade salsa I just use a strained can of Rotel)  Then I top with shredded cheddar cheese. (you can use whatever cheese you want) Put it in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.  Then serve with chips or just use a fork.  

Optional: sometimes I have added a can of corn and black beans for a bit more, but usually not.

I'll leave you with one more, Chicken and Quinoa wraps.  I posted this on Facebook yesterday, but here it is again.

Ingredients-
3 chicken breasts (or 1.5 lbs of ground turkey or beef)
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
1 can of red/kidney beans
1 can of rotel (great value has a fire roasted one I have fallen in love with!)
1 cup of un cooked quinoa
red onion
cilantro
cheese
tortillas
Cook the meat. I put taco seasoning on the chicken and cooked them in a pan, baking would work fine too. Or brown the turkey (make sure you season it while it's cooking, that's my secret for turkey)
Cook the quinoa-I used 2 cups of chicken broth but water works fine too. There is so much other flavor going on you don't really need more than water.
If using chicken chop it up somehow, a food processor works fine. Open all the cans, drain them and dump them in a BIG pan/pot. Add the meat, cooked quinoa, chopped cilantro, and chopped onion. (I left the onion raw but you can cook it with the meat if you like a milder flavor) Get everything nice and warm and serve it up!
This seriously makes enough for about 15 people. I used BIG burrito tortillas, put some cheese in it, then heaped on the mixture. Wrapped it up and ate every bit. You can also wrap them in foil and it makes a great "on the go" meal. I put some in the fridge for leftovers, and some in the freezer for later.

Well I think that's it for tonight, enjoy!

No comments:

Some Grief Guidance

So few people know how to grieve WITH people. And I'm no expert, but I have walked down the road myself a few times and wanted to s...