Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How far should you go?


This is a question I have been thinking a lot about lately in terms of preparing for a disaster.  I can't say that I've come to any sort of real conclusions, but I did find a good place to start the other day.

I've thought about a few different scenarios and depending on which one happens determines the course of action.  But one thing is for sure, times are changing and it's only a matter of calendar pages before life as we know it makes a drastic turn. (not to get all "dooms day" but all the signs point to yes in my opinion)


Possible scenarios-
  • Crazy inflation happens and food becomes more expensive than a car (or something like that) In this case, the ideal place to be in is to have lots of food stored up and hopefully useful things :) Like I said yesterday I like to bake bread using THIS new book I found.  It has 4 ingredients, you mix it for like 30 seconds, then store it in the fridge in a bucket for up to 2 weeks! So I have picked up a few extra of each ingredient over the last few weeks and put them away "just in case." I don't really have much more of a method, except that I have bought extra rice and cans of beans, we have some milk frozen that we rotate through our normal stock, and some extra meat frozen as well.  A few weeks ago I did stumble across THIS little blog/website and if I do get serious about storing up food this is what I'm going to do.  They have an e-book that gives you checklists and ideas and all sorts of good stuff.  But I'm not there yet.         
 (this scenario also includes a massive attack on our power grid and we have no electricity for an extended amount of time.  Although we don't have a generator, (if it were up to my husband this would be taken care of already) or much more than a little bit of wood in the back yard (but I'm sure we could find things to burn if need be!) the stored up food would come in handy, but not the frozen stuff, hmmm well anyway. And I would be able to bake the bread, but whatever.  I've only put a little thought into this remember?
  • Other way it could go down- something massive happens and we all have to flee our houses. (pick your disaster) Now if this is the case, again I don't have any long term solutions, but I did find a good manageable place to start.  One of the emails I told you about yesterday "Everyday Cheapskate" sent this the other day and my first thought was, "I can do that!" So go check it out, let me know what you think! In an Emergency, Ready, Set, Go!
It's a beautiful day out today, we are hoping to plant the rest of our garden by the weekend, I'll update with pictures when we do!

No comments:

Some Grief Guidance

So few people know how to grieve WITH people. And I'm no expert, but I have walked down the road myself a few times and wanted to s...