Thursday, March 10, 2011

A New Beginning


I've been thinking a lot about this little neglected blog of mine lately. Wondering what I should do. And this morning I decided to head in a new direction. I'm not exactly sure what that looks like yet, but I thought today was as good a day as any to start moving there. So I am.

I love to read other people's blogs and get ideas from them. Whether it's informative and useful like homeschooling and health information, or food fun, or crafty fun, I love it all. And I really enjoy just reading about other people's lives too. So maybe my blog will just be about all the things I love :) and maybe it will just be about my life. But for now I thought I'd share a few things I've got going on right now.

First up is my garden. I remember when I was younger my mom had a small garden, I know she grew tomatoes, but other than that I don't remember much. I know she was constantly fighting bugs and I remember a dog we had ate her tulips one year, but that's about it. At some point last summer I remember telling Jason I wanted to do a garden this year. Mostly for fun, for me and for the kids. I think little kids watering a garden and getting to harvest the food is so much fun. I think it teaches them patience and diligence. Something that you don't find much of in today's society.

So, I'm happy to say that we are actually making it happen! I struggle so much with procrastination and having way more ideas than I can actually complete, so many of my thoughts stay right there, in my head, or on one of my many lists, and never make it any further. Anyway, here is the progression and what we have so far!

Here is Jason building our boxes. We used the square foot gardening method and mostly followed Emily's books that can be found here.

Here is the space cleared out
Jason and Alyssa moved the boxes and then lined them with a weed mat. We followed the instructions for the mixture of soil. Jason has his doubts :) but I think it will turn out grand!


Allison taking a donut break. Before I knew it she had eaten the one I gave her and started on a second!

Mixing the soil, Caleb supervising
Allison watering the cabbage, broccoli, and swiss chard

We also planed some onions, potatoes, and blueberries. This weekend we will be planting more, and then the following weekend the rest. We have lots of tomatoes and peppers, some strawberries, and even some cantaloupe. I can't wait to get it all planted and watch it grow!

I have all sorts of things I want to post about but I think I'll try not to blow my whole wad today. :) But I will leave you with one more thing. Allison is in Granbury visiting Jason's parents so while she is gone I want to make this for when she comes back. And I must admit I'm pretty excited about it too!
It's called glass block Jello and here is how you make it- Instructions

Well, it's off to do the dishes and laundry before my little man wakes up! Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Some Grief Guidance

So few people know how to grieve WITH people. And I'm no expert, but I have walked down the road myself a few times and wanted to s...